Drug and Alcohol Rehab in Portsmouth
The reasons for why people in Portsmouth may have fallen into addiction are not always obvious. It is not always necessary to understand the exact causes, but it can be a help to get a general idea for why this person fell into substance abuse so that they can avoid such problems again in the future. One of the best ways to do this type of research into the root of addiction is to enter a drug and alcohol treatment program.
Here the individual will have time with a therapist to explore these and other issues.
The Common Causes of Addiction
Some of the most common reasons for why people from Portsmouth may have fallen into addiction will include:
- There is good evidence of a genetic component in many cases of addiction. This means that the individual has inherited genes that make them more prone to this type of condition.
- One of the most common reasons why people fall into substance abuse is that they were self-medicating. This could be because the person had some type of undiagnosed mental health condition or that they were just finding it difficult to deal with life (for example, shyness). In the beginning, self-medicating with alcohol and drugs does seem to help people, but the reality is that over time it only makes things much worse.
- Another reason why people fall into addiction is that they suffered some type of emotional or physical trauma. The individual is suffering because of this, but they find that they can escape their pain (temporarily) by using alcohol and drugs. The problem is that the individual has to keep on using these substances in order to stay away from the pain. This puts them on a collision course for pain.
Overcoming the Causes of Addiction
In order to overcome the common causes of addiction the options would include:
- Those individuals who have tried to self medicate with alcohol or drugs can begin dealing with the actual source of their pain. This means that they will be getting the help they need without harming themselves in the process. In most cases, there will be good options for dealing with these causes.
- If people have fallen into addiction because of the emotional trauma they will be able to deal with this with the help of a therapist. This means that they will be able to walk away from whatever it was that was causing them pain.
- If the individual is genetically predisposed to addiction this does not mean that they have to engage in this behaviour. The individual will have the choice of keeping away from all sorts of substance abuse and addictive behaviour. This way they will not be a slave to their genes.
Once people in Portsmouth are ready to deal with the causes of their addiction it will mean that they can move forward into the future without fear. Not only will the individual be able to stay away from alcohol or drugs, but this is the life they will prefer.
The Need for Detox Centres
When people become addicted to alcohol or drugs it will mean that they have developed a physical dependence on this substance. This means that their body will have adapted to these toxins and will react negatively when these substances are suddenly removed.
It is this negative reaction that leads to withdrawal symptoms. In most cases, the body will be able to adjust quickly to the new conditions, but it can be an uncomfortable few days – the symptoms should not be much worse than mild flu usually.
The majority of people do will pass through withdrawals with minor discomfort, but there can still be some good reasons for why they might want to complete this process in rehab including:
- The person will be most likely to relapse when they are going through withdrawal symptoms. This is because they are aware that by drinking or using drugs they will be able to alleviate these symptoms. It can be very tempting for them to just give in. When people detox in rehab it will be more difficult for them to relapse, and they will be supported through the process. Very few people who enter rehab will fail to make it through the detox stage and once they do make it beyond this stage their chances of success will greatly increase
- Although the majority of people will suffer mild withdrawal symptoms there will be some who are at risk of far more serious symptoms. An example of this would be delirium tremens (DTs) which can be fatal if not monitored closely. If the person is going through DTs at home they are in real danger. Their blood pressure will be dangerously elevated, and they are at risk of convulsions. It is vital that such people go through withdrawals while being medically supervised. This will happen when they enter detox. If things start to go bad there will be ways to medically manage the symptoms so that the person is kept safe
- One of the benefits of entering detox is that there will be treatments to make the process of withdrawal easier to deal with. This would include medications that will ease the symptoms associated with the process
- The other benefit of going through detox in rehab is that it means that the individual will be able to begin their treatment program right away. They will be able to do many of the treatment activities while still in detox. This will speed up the process and offer them support while making it through this difficult time
Contacting Rehab Recovery
For more information on detox and rehab options in Portsmouth, contact Rehab Recovery today on 0800 088 66 86. When you contact us, we shall outline a variety of treatment options that are available to you in Portsmouth. This includes both private and statutory addiction treatments.