Call now in confidence immediate help & advice 24/7

0800 088 66 86

International: +44 330 333 6197

The Heroin Addiction Cycle

Posted on February 16, 2018

The Heroin Addiction Cycle

In this post, we share an infographic titled ‘The Heroin Addiction Cycle”. The infographic explains that heroin addiction develops over five different stages.

These five stages include:

  1. Experimentation
  2. Initiation
  3. Commitment
  4. Dysfunction
  5. Treatment

The infographic points out that many people who begin to take heroin by snorting this drug. Snorting then evolves into smoking heroin, and smoking heroin then evolves into injecting heroin. The infographic then points out that those new to heroin quickly begin to sell off their own and their loved one’s items to fund their heroin addiction.

Nearly 80% of people who experiment with heroin will not go on to develop an addiction. The other 20% will go onto developing a heroin addiction. Once these people become addicted to heroin, they will spend a lot of money a day to fund their heroin addiction. If heroin is not taken for around 6-24 hours, withdrawal symptoms will begin to kick in.

These withdrawal symptoms include:

  • Fever
  • Depression
  • Vomiting
  • Cold sweats
  • Severe muscle and bone aches
  • Excessive yawning and sneezing
  • Cramp-like pain in limbs
  • Extra sensitivity of the genitals

The infographic then goes on to explain the dysfunction caused by heroin addiction. For instance, many people addicted to heroin are incarcerated. This may be due to possession offences or since many heroin addictions commit theft to bankroll their addiction.

The final stage of heroin addiction is treatment. The infographic explains the difference between inpatient and outpatient heroin rehab treatment.

We hope you will enjoy this infographic:

Other Recent Articles

Subscribe to our newsletter