Drug and Alcohol Rehab in High Wycombe
In order for people to be able to break away from addiction, they are going to need to have the right attitude. Alcohol and drug dependence is a formidable foe, so it will be up to the individual to be adequately prepared for this battle. Part of this will involve getting the right type of recovery help, but the most crucial aspect will be developing the right attitude. The individual needs to be determined and unwilling to accept anything less than lifelong sobriety.
They also need to be willing to do whatever it takes to stay sober. If the person has this type of attitude they are guaranteed to be successful.
Addiction Lowers Self Efficacy
One of the reasons why it can be so difficult to break away from addiction is that this condition leads to reduced self-efficacy. This self-efficacy refers to the belief that a person has in their own ability to achieve something. If a person has low self-efficacy it means that they are very unlikely to achieve their goal. This is because the act of predicting their own ultimate failure will prevent them from putting in the required effort to be successful.
The low self-efficacy creates a self-fulfilling prophecy whereby the act of predicting failure causes it to happen. If the individual has high self-efficacy they are highly likely to succeed.
The reason why addiction lowers self-efficacy is that alcohol and drugs take such a strong hold on the person. When the individual first starts to get into problems with these substances they will try to control their intake, but when they fail to regain control it chips away at their self-efficacy. The more that the person attempts to reduce their intake and fails the lower their self-efficacy falls. Eventually, the individual reaches a stage where they feel powerless and unable to escape their addiction.
In order to get beyond this stage, it is vital that the individual develops the right attitude, and this is high motivation and determination. As soon as the person starts to see how they can overcome their addiction problems it will cause their self-efficacy to increase – thus making the process easier. All the individual has to really do is to get the ball rolling.
Right Attitude for Rehab in High Wycombe
Entering detox in High Wycombe can be a great step in the direction of a new and better way of living. The individual not only has the opportunity to end their addiction but to go on and live a far more satisfying life than anything they have known before. This is a great opportunity, but there are things that can get in the way and prevent the individual from reaching their goal. One of these things is that the person allows stinking thinking to begin clouding their judgement.
The Symptoms of Stinking Thinking
Stinking thinking can be a real barrier to addiction recovery so it is vital that people are able to spot the symptoms and stop it in its tracks. Those people in High Wycombe who are at the start of their recovery journey should be on the lookout out for any of these signs that they may have slipped into stinking thinking:
- The individual feels pessimistic about their future. They suspect that no matter what they do, things will turn out bad for them
- The person is prone to negative thinking. No matter how well things are going they will be expecting things to turn bad at any moment
- When things are going well the individual can’t enjoy it because they worry that this is a sign that something bad is about to happen
- The individual is cynical about those who are trying to help them in recovery. They believe that the motives that recovery professionals and volunteers have is bad – they are either on ego trips or they are scam artists
- The person is jealous of people who seem to be doing well in recovery. They secretly hope that these individuals fail
- The person either feels better than everyone else or worse than everyone else
- This individual is very closed minded about any new ideas. They do not like to try new things and have a habit of dismissing things out of hand
- The person does not like to be told what to do. They are demand resistant and will tend to go in the opposite direction of where people want them to go. This individual can even be resistant to the demands that they put upon themselves
- The person feels angry and bitter about the past. They do not seem to be able to let go of the wrongs that they perceive have been done to them
- The person easily becomes upset and tends to take things out of proportion – they like to make mountains out of molehills
Those individuals who are dealing with stinking thinking will probably not have all of these symptoms, but they do tend to lead from one to the other. Stinking thinking is like cancer that takes over the person’s thinking. It keeps growing until the individual feels justified in returning to alcohol and drugs. If the person manages to remain sober they will just live a life that is far from satisfying – it will feel more like a prison sentence.
Staying Positive in Long Term Recovery
It is important that the individual remains positive and focused on recovery going forward. This will be just as important 40 years into sobriety as it will be at one day. It is important to keep in mind that the individual will always just be one drink or one drug away from a return to addiction. Staying positive does not mean that the individual must never fall into the trap of negative thinking, it means that they never allow themselves to stay caught in the trap of negative thinking. The individual needs to always be on the lookout for stinking thinking and prepared to tackle it when it arises.
Contacting Rehab Recovery
For more information on detox and rehab options in High Wycombe, contact Rehab Recovery today on 0800 088 66 86. When you contact us, we shall outline a variety of treatment options that are available to you in High Wycombe. This includes both private and statutory addiction treatments.