Drug and Alcohol Rehab in Cambridge
Recovering from an addiction requires more than just giving up alcohol and drugs. In order to truly recover from this condition the individual needs to be able to uncover the driving force behind this behaviour. If they fail to do this they will be likely to relapse or fall into other maladaptive behaviours in the future.
Drug & Alcohol Rehab in Cambridge can help people regain control of their lives and integrate back into society, although it is possible for most substance abusers to quit alcohol and drug use in the short term, it is remaining abstinent long term that is the real challenge. In order to make permanent abstinence, as well as a fulfilling life, a reality, the individual will usually benefit from spending some time in rehab.
What alcohol & Drug Rehab Has to Offer
The idea of spending time in alcohol rehab is not going to be an attractive proposition to most people. It sounds hard and it means being away from the comforts of home. There would need to be a very good reason for why the individual would want to do this. Here are just some of the things that alcohol and drug rehab in Cambridge has to offer people who are trying to break away from addiction:
- In many instances, the person will have already tried to quit without any help. Choosing to have support during the early stages of recovery can make a huge difference, and it is often the missing ingredient required to break away from addiction.
- Most rehabs also offer detox beds. This means that the person can be medically supervised as they pass through their withdrawal symptoms. This will mean that the process will be easier, and the individual will be kept safe as they are being monitored by a medical team – this is particularly important for long term drug or alcohol users who are at risk of severe withdrawal symptoms.
- The aim of this facility is to empower the individual to be able to take their life in a new direction. This means that they will be able to find a life that is going to be fulfilling and enjoyable. The person will feel strong enough to deal with the challenges they meet in the future, and they will never again feel the need to hide behind alcohol or drugs.
- The person will benefit from drug and alcohol counselling and therapy. They will be able to dig down deep to the roots of their behaviour and remove these.
- The most likely reason for why people will relapse in early recovery is that they feel unable to cope. One of the main goals of these facilities is to provide the individual with coping strategies that mean they will feel more control in their life.
- Some people will be currently in inappropriate accommodation as a result of their addiction. By going through this type of facility the individual will often be able to obtain more secure accommodation.
What to Expect In a Cambridge Drug and Alcohol Rehab Centre
People tend to fear the unknown, and this can be a common reason for why people will feel hesitant about going to rehab. Once the individual has a better idea about what to expect from this facility they may become less resistant. Rehabs differ in what they offer but some of the most common things that the individual can expect will include:
- All of these facilities will expect the individual to comply with certain rules and regulations. For example, if a person uses alcohol or drugs they will be asked to leave. The regulations are there to protect every member of the community.
- There will usually be group therapy sessions – these can occur once a day.
- It is common for the resident to be given a key worker. This is a member of the team who will take a particular interest in their case. It will usually be the key worker that the client goes to for their one to one therapy sessions.
- The individual will be expected to stay in the facility at night, but once they get beyond the early stages they will usually have the freedom to go places during the day. Many rehabs will allow family and friends to visit and the client may be allowed to have a mobile phone and use the internet.
- The accommodations offered by these rehabs are usually of a very high standard. This is because it is understood that if the client is not happy with their environment, they are not likely to get much out of the program. Some facilities are more like homes than clinics, and many of the private ones offer a high degree of luxury.
- It is usual for the individual to be given their own room – although they may have to share during the detox stage of treatment. These private rooms are usually very comfortable and may have things like a TV and en suite facilities.
Resistance to Drug Rehab
It is common for people who need rehab to feel resistant to the idea at first. If the individual is serious about ending the addiction it is vital that they get the type of help they need, and this help is most likely to come from this type of facility. The person needs to keep in mind that this time in an alcohol and drug rehab will only be temporary, and it will increase their chances of finding future happiness.
Aftercare from Cambridge rehab
Making it through a rehab program is a great achievement, but the individual will need to build on this good work in order to ensure lasting sobriety. Most rehabs will offer some type of aftercare program, or the individual may even have the option of going to a halfway rehab where they can stay for up to 2 years. One of the most popular types of aftercare available is the 12 Step fellowships such as Alcoholics Anonymous.
Contacting Rehab Recovery
For more information on detox and rehab options in Cambridge, contact Rehab Recovery today on 0800 088 66 86. When you contact us, we shall outline a variety of treatment options that are available to you in Cambridge. This includes both private and statutory addiction treatments.