Drug and Alcohol Rehab in Norwich
If people from Norwich have been dealing with substance abuse problems over a long period of time they may benefit from spending some time in a detox clinic. This type of facility not only helps the individual break their physical addiction, but they can also help the client break away from the reasons that drove them into addiction in the first place.
One of the most important functions of an alcohol and drug rehab will be to help the individual to overcome the character flaws that helped keep them trapped in addiction for so long.
Addiction and Character Flaws
To say that character flaws keep people trapped in addiction is not to suggest that the person is bad and getting what they deserve. All humans will have flaws to deal with an in the case of the addict these defects of characters will often have come about as a result of their addiction.
The kind of negative character traits that people from Norwich may need to overcome in order to build a successful rehab could include things like:
- It is common for substance abusers to develop a highly cynical attitude. This means that they have trouble trusting those who are trying to help them, and they may refuse to consider new ideas and options. The cynic is closed minded, and this means that they are unable to get the type of help that they need
- Another of the common character flaws of substance abusers will be the willingness to act impulsively most of the time. This means that the individual will do things first and think about the consequences later. A little bit of impulsiveness can make life exciting, but in the case of the addicted person it is highly detrimental to their wellbeing. They will often do things that they later regret
- It is common for people who fall into the trap of addiction to become highly negative about things. They may always find things to moan about, and no matter how well things are going for them they will struggle to find happiness. The individual may even worry that when things are going well it is a sign that something bad is about to happen
- This is a type of individual who will often be dealing with symptoms of depression or anxiety. In fact, it may have been these symptoms that led them into addiction in the first place
- The substance abuser will often be pessimistic about the future. They believe that things are likely to go bad no matter what they do. The individual can allow their pessimism to cause them to fail in rehab by creating a self-fulfilling prophecy. This happens because by predicting that they are going to fail the individual creates the conditions for this to happen. For example, their belief in that the project is doomed to failure means that they will not put in sufficient effort needed to make it a success. If the individual had been a bit more positive they would have greatly increased their chances of success
How rehab works
Many people associate rehab with the detoxing of a person. Whilst this is one part of the process that enables the rest of the program to take place, it is by no means the be all and end all. Rehab is designed to help an addict get clean and remain clean.
To do this, the substance abuser must be able to make rational decisions for themselves without seeking out drugs or alcohol. They must be able to provide for themselves and deal with difficult situations in life without leaning on their chosen substance for support.
A combination of methods is used to teach addicts how to re-invent themselves and take a place in society that does not revolve around drugs and alcohol. Therapy sessions in group and on a personal level are used to deal with any emotional and mental issues around people’s addictions.
They also serve as a way to put people in touch with peers that will have a good influence on each other’s lives. Classes and workshops are used to inspire people to move forward in life whilst giving them the skills needed to deal with any situations that may arise causing them to turn to drugs and alcohol.
Each centre has a slightly different approach to rehabilitating substance abusers but all of them have the same goal. Rehab is about changing the perspective of an addict and showing them that they are just as capable of living a fulfilled life as anybody else.
Often, addicts have spent so long in a world of drugs and alcohol or on the wrong side of the law that they believe that it might be too late for them to turn their lives around. Staff within the rehab centres work tirelessly to try and show people that this isn’t the case.
Relapse is a real possibility
For many addicts, the getting clean part, although it can make them feel dreadful at the time, is often the easiest part of rehab. Hard work and commitment is necessary to stay clean afterwards.
Relapse is a very real possibility for people coming out of rehab. Certain situations may bring on relapse such as:
- Meeting up with old peers that have not reached the point where they are clean. Such people may try to instigate a situation where an addict starts using again
- Staying clean is easier to do when life is going well. Any bumps in the road can lead people to want to rely on their old support system of substance abuse
Staying in touch with people who are a positive influence is key to success when it comes to rehabilitation. Those who have turned to rehab will most likely have done so because they were not able to find relief from their addiction on their own.
Believing that this should change just because they have been to rehab is a costly mistake. Support groups are still necessary when leaving rehab. The more people that there are in a substance abuser’s life that can offer them an alternative route to drugs and alcohol the better.
Contacting Rehab Recovery
For more information on detox and rehab options in Norwich, contact Rehab Recovery today on 0800 088 66 86. When you contact us, we shall outline a variety of treatment options that are available to you in Norwich. This includes both private and statutory addiction treatments.