Drug and Alcohol Rehab in Middlesbrough
There are different solutions available for dealing with addiction problems, but one of the most effective is entering rehab. This type of residential program means that the individual gets to stay in a therapeutic environment where they can be fully focused on ending their substance abuse problems.
They will also be surrounded by the resources and help they need in order to break away from addiction.
It is often claimed that the real purpose of this type of facility is to give the individual a strong base on which they can then go onto build the rest of their life.
The most important things that happen to a person in this type of facility will include:
- The individual becomes empowered to take charge of their own life. This means that they will not only be better able to deal with their addiction problems, but they will also have the power to take their life in a positive direction
- Most people who fall into addiction begin this behaviour at a young age. This means that they miss out on normal development, and they fail to acquire the coping strategies associated with mature adulthood. The lack of these coping mechanisms means that the individual can struggle when they become sober, and this inability to cope can drive them to relapse or adopt new maladaptive behaviours. One of the most important parts of staying in rehab is developing new effective ways of coping so that the individual no longer requires alcohol or drugs. The individual will also get to test these new tools in a controlled environment
- The individual will have access to the professionals and resource they need in order to begin building a successful recovery – all that they need for building strong sobriety will be available under the same roof
- The person will have the chance to dig down to the root causes of their addiction. This means that they will be able to get the motivations that drove them into addiction in the first place. By beginning to deal with these issues the individual will be reducing their risk of later relapse or of turning to other maladaptive behaviours
What to Expect in Rehab
The individual can have all types of misconceptions about rehab, and this is why it can be so important for them to speak to somebody who understands the reality of these facilities. These places are usually very comfortable places to stay, and the individual will not be coerced into doing anything that they do not want to do. The whole point of this facility is to empower the individual, and not to just tell them what to do.
Causes of Relapse
There are some common reasons why people relapse after a period in a rehabilitation clinic. It can be really helpful for those who are living in the Middlesbrough and considering rehab to be aware of these causes of failure because in the majority of cases these are things that are preventable.
Here are some of the most common reasons for relapse after alcohol and drug addiction centres:
- In many cases, the individual was not fully committed to their recovery, and this meant that they failed to get the most out of their time in rehab. The ambivalent attitude of the person meant that they held back from building strong sobriety, and this meant that as soon as they returned home they were unable to maintain their recovery
- There are some individuals who enter these facilities for the wrong reasons. They might not be serious about quitting their addiction, but are just entering rehab to get other people off their back – this could be their employer or their loved ones. This person has no intention of staying sober long term, and they are only waiting for the chance to relapse. They will treat their time in rehab as similar to a prison sentence so they are unlikely to gain much from the experience
- Another common reason for why people from Middlesbrough fail after spending time drug or alcohol detox centres is that they develop unrealistic expectations. They have the idea that when they go home everything will be perfect right away. They fail to appreciate that they have only taken the first step in a long journey. Those individuals who have unrealistic expectations are almost certain to end up disappointed, and they can use this as an excuse to relapse
- Some people will leave rehab with the idea that they have graduated and are now cured. This kind of thinking means that the person is unwilling to do the further work that will be needed to keep them sober long term
- Another mistake that people make is that they fail to arrange sufficient aftercare or they fail to make use of the aftercare that was arranged while they were in rehab. There is plenty of evidence to show that those people who do engage in aftercare following their time in a drug or alcohol rehabilitation centre are the most likely to succeed in recovery
- Some people will fail to be honest during their time in rehab, and this means that they will not be able to get the most out of drug counselling sessions and group work. The fact that the individual was unwilling to be honest is a real sign that they are not really serious about becoming sober
- The individual can leave an inpatient facility and start to spend time again with their drinking or drug using friends. They can also start to visit bars and places where drugs are sold. The fact that the individual is putting themselves in the way of such temptation is putting their sobriety at risk
Aftercare to Prevent Relapse
It is important that the individual has some type of aftercare to help them avoid relapsing once they leave rehab. There are a number of options available for this including:
- Outpatient group therapy
- Outpatient one to one therapy with a therapist
- Fellowship groups such as Alcoholics Anonymous
Contacting Rehab Recovery
For more information on detox and rehab options in Middlesbrough, contact Rehab Recovery today on 0800 088 66 86. When you contact us, we shall outline a variety of treatment options that are available to you in Middlesbrough. This includes both private and statutory addiction treatments.